Saturday, May 07, 2005

California

Every once in a while, you get an awesome weather day. Today started out as such. I was walking to work, and at 7:30 am, probably the only time in the day the weather will be like this, it reminded me of home. (In case you can't guess, home is California - specifically northern.) This morning it felt like maybe 50 degrees, with fog. The sun was starting to glint on the river and the seagulls were out calling to one another. If not for the blight of a crazy construction scene, it'd be heaven!
Memories of trips to the beach, especially camping trips, where you get up and out on the beach - everything is calm - the weather is a little too cool, but you wait, confident the fog will burn off. The air is clean and the birds are the only other creatures who are in the mood to make noise. Even if there are other beach-goers/campers, they are in the same trance as I am in (or at least some sort of not-fully-awake trance -equally acceptable to me). It's at that moment when I feel the most calm and contented. The beach is my favorite geographical place in the world to be.
Unfortunately, since I don't live near the beach (no, a great lake is NOT the same thing), I don't get this feeling too often. So, I had to share. Plus, I don't really have anything exciting going on right now - unless you count a supervisor with a knack for making you feel extra incompetent, and the fact that Cowboy might lose his job. That, however, is too much drama for a day off to such a fine start.

No comments: