Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cracked under pressure

When people admire something I have on, I have a bad habit of telling them where I bought it and for how much (usually because I got it for cheap, at a cheap store, but I consider it a bargain). Today I was wearing one of those pieces of clothing. I was determined, though, to not tell anyone about it.
Just as the office building elevator doors were closing, a person from work snuck in. Despite the fact that everyone knows you are supposed to stare at either the floor indicator or the little information screen they have in there, she proceeded to stare right at me. She said, "pretty shirt." I thanked her but I could still feel the weight of her stare on me. I glanced at her and saw that she was staring at me and her mouth was hanging open a little - like she couldn't believe the stupid thing I had said - even though I had been quietly looking at the screen, following elevator etiquette. I couldn't stand it and told her that I bought it at Walmart for $7. I was kinda hoping she'd be embarrassed for me - after all - who admits to that kind of thing (except me)? Instead (to her credit) she said, "Well, that makes it even prettier!" AAAAnnnnd the stare went on. I made some inane comment about the weather while she just stared at me.
At our BBQ in Yosemite, I was talking to a couple of my friends and we agreed that everyone has some kind of karma. They each had karma that encouraged people to always cut in line in front of them. Mine is clearly one that calls for other people to stare at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing. I think it's that we want to reveal our great bargin shopping skills to others.