Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The big 3-0

My birthday came and went. I tried to post a blog on that day, but for some reason I couldn't post. Since I was in a much better mood then than I am today, I will try and resurrect the spirit of that email.
I thought I would be dreading my 30th birthday. Turns out, I loved it! I feel like I can look at my budding wrinkles and say, "what do you expect, I'm 30." I also get to say stuff like, "when you're older, you'll understand." See, when you're 30, you get to do those things. (Apparently, being 30 gives you license to be annoying). I think on the whole, I'm looking forward to getting older. I think it's a little like my niece who had to have a packed lunch and a "pack-pack" for years before she was old enough to go to school. I'm sure there's something good in getting older.
Anyway, I had a great day - Road Runner made me treats (always worth celebrating!) and put a cute note on her blog for me. (go ahead - check it out!) I went with Cowboy, my sister and bro-in-law to a little lake town nearby and Cowboy "secretly" talked the waitress into bringing a cake to the table to surprise me. "Secretly" means he seemingly got all upset because we asked for 1 more bread roll and it wasn't coming fast enough. He said, "I'm going to go get that roll!" and then proceeded to have a 3 minute, animated conversation with the waitress in front of us. We couldn't hear what was being said, but there's no way it was over a roll. My sister and bro-in-law, of course, thought it really was about a roll and I think they were a little shocked. I assured them that although I didn't know exactly what Cowboy was up to, it was not about the roll. We'd been to the restaurant before and I've never seen a birthday celebrated there before, and Cowboy has certainly never arranged for a surprise like that before, so I didn't know what to think until the waitress appeared at my side with a cake. Meanwhile, I got a new camera as a present, and Cowboy was taking pictures of me blowing out the single candle like it was my first birthday. Please note - out of the 9+ years we've been together - I think we have maybe 5 pictures of us - all taken by others.
Good times!

No comments: